Leer en español
- Heres a dessert setup that allows for a large number of padrinos: Order a small but well-decorated cake that will stand out as a centerpiece on the dessert table. Place it on a cake stand for extra attention. Then, ask your friends and relatives to bake five to 10 smaller cakes in different shapes and flavors. Maybe the cakes will have sentimental value. For me, those special desserts would have been tres leches cake or the unforgettable flan that my tía Aida makes. When the time comes to cut and serve, each padrino can explain his or her choice of cake.
- Cupcakes are always fun. See my photo for inspiration!
- Also, check out this easy cake recipe on Mis Quince, from the new Pink Princess Cookbook.
In my opinion, hors d'oeuvres are less expensive than a full meal or a sit-down dinner, especially if served buffet style. You save money because there is no need for a waiter. Also, people tend to eat more when the food is brought to them, so by going buffet-style, you wont have to order as much.
- Decorate with flowers that are in season at the time of your party theyll be cheaper. For example, on the southwest coast of the U.S., calla lilies a flower made famous in Mexican paintings are always in season, so theyre pretty affordable. But on the East Coast, this gorgeous flower doesnt grow naturally and can be very expensive.
- If you dont like the live flowers available, opt for silk flowers. I love them mixed in with fresh greens such as fern, ivy, or babys breath and tied together with ribbon. Its hard to tell theyre not real.
- Decorate with balloons. They are even cheaper than flowers. You can add color to tables by tying balloons to the back of chairs. You can also tie balloon bouquets to colorful shopping bags filled with tissue paper, and use them as centerpieces. Add a surprise gift inside the bag arrangements, and you can turn it into a prize for your guests.
- If you dont use flowers or balloons, another option is chair covers, which are easy to make with color fabrics and a glue gun. Use giant bows made out of chiffon, tulle, wide ribbon, or a combination of these. Save extra and avoid overdoing it by putting chair decorations on every other chair.
Which other moneysaving tricks have you seen at quinceañeras? Im always looking for new ideas to share on my blog. Comment below!
Leer en español